Living in Turkey has become an interest for people who want to start a new life as they consider it a safe place that offers a decent life and many unique investment opportunities. By moving to Turkey, they aim to benefit from the advantages that the state grants to citizens and residents on both the economic and social levels.
In addition to excellent education in all its stages and specializations, availability of good job opportunities, and a solid health system, Turkey has become a suitable place for many foreign nationalities. This has added a cultural diversity to the patterns of community life in it.
In this article, we will dive in:
- Requirements for living in Turkey
- Residence permit types in Turkey
- Advantages of living in Turkey
- Cost of living in Turkey
- Owning real estate in Turkey
- Advantages of owning property in Turkey
- Tips about owning property in Turkey
Requirements for living in Turkey
From a legal point of view, if you have decided to live in Turkey, you should follow some regular procedures to obtain the needed permission to enter Turkey and live in it.
First of all, it is necessary to check with the Turkish embassy in your country to obtain an entry visa (visa to Turkey) according to the instructions prescribed for the citizens of your country. After entering Turkey, it is necessary to apply for a residence permit to live legally in Turkey.
Residence permit types in Turkey
There are many types of residence permit in Turkey as follows:
1- Tourist residence permit
It is known as the short-term residence permit, and all tourists apply for it.
2- Permanent residence permit
It is known as the long-term residence permit, you can get it after living for 8 years in Turkey legally.
3- Work residence permit
It is known as the work permit and it is given to foreigners employees working in Turkish companies.
4- Student residence permit
It is given to students working at Turkish universities.
5- Family residence permit
It is given to people married to Turkish citizens and the holder has the right to apply for Turkish citizenship after 3 years of living in Turkey.
6- Real estate ownership residence permit
It is given to whoever buys a property in Turkey, grants the right to the wife and children also to reside with the owner of the property.
Advantages of living in Turkey
1- Life in Turkey is often characterized by its easy transactions, such as extracting papers and conducting various transactions in government departments.
2- The simplicity of life and its distance from the class differences among people give a feeling of comfort and acceptance among the newcomers to Turkey.
3- The high level of education in Turkey. The scholarship launched by the Turkish government at the beginning of every new year attracts international students from all over the world. The reason behind this is the ranking of Turkish universities and their advanced international standards. As well as the quality of education and ease of enrollment in universities. Not to mention the availability of public, private, and international schools in every city and neighborhood.
4- The charming nature and sea views of the Bosphorus, the green meadows, and the fragrant history of museums, palaces, and historical mosques attract millions of tourists every year.
5- Job opportunities in Turkey are a vital advantage for new young people. As Turkey is one of the leading countries in the field of industries and free businesses, it provides chances for businesses especially those working in the tourism or real estate market.
6- A cohesive medical system for all segments of society, as Turkey was one of the few countries that withstood the last global medical pandemic, and was able, with its capabilities, to manufacture adequate medical devices and equipment, and even export them abroad. The medical and social insurance systems cover all citizens and residents of state hospitals for free.
Cost of living in Turkey
The cost of living in Turkey is within relatively low limits when compared to other countries, as the minimum wage can provide a reasonable life for an individual and his family.
Residential rental costs in Turkey vary exceedingly, according to the neighborhood, region, and city you prefer to live in.
As for consumer prices, they vary according to their source and not all Turkish cities are considered expensive. However, Istanbul is at the top of the list of the most expensive cities in Turkey, given that it is the economic capital of the country and the business hub. In addition to being a tourist city in the first class.
Owning real estate in Turkey
Turkey annually ranks among the top 10 countries for real estate investment in the world, due to the special economic advantages that the real estate market enjoys in various Turkish cities.
As well as common cultural commonalities between Turkish culture and Arab cultures in most details of life, from food and drink to religious and moral values.
Advantages of owning property in Turkey
- Turkey is a solid environment for real estate investment, and this is because of the economic stability that the country enjoys that is a result of political and security stability. Turkey has become a suitable place, even a favourite, for investors who look for stability and investments.
- It provides multiple options for real estate such as apartments, villas, palaces, shops, offices, lands and others.
- The opportunity to obtain facilities and services within high levels of luxury at prices that are not comparable to other countries. Some of these facilities are gyms, swimming pools, health and private facilities such as saunas, kindergartens, and cinemas, all without having to leave your compound.
- Easy procedures for foreigners to own real estate in Turkey, which can be completed in a few days with confidence and safety, under the supervision of the Turkish government, the authorized justice clerk, and the Land Registry Department.
- When you own a property in Turkey, you will be immediately eligible to apply for a real estate residence permit, for you and your family members accompanying you, regardless of the value of the property you buy.
- If you choose to invest in a real estate with a value greater than $ 250,000, then you have the right to apply for Turkish citizenship for you, your wife and children under 18 years old.
- A clear and transparent tax system, and low real estate taxes compared to European countries.
- The possibility of inheriting the property according to law.
Tips about owning property in Turkey
- Firstly, it is advised to take the advice of specialists with experience in the field of real estate before owning in Turkey, which will save you a lot of effort, time, and money. Honest advisors help you not to risk owning a property with problems.
- Then you should obtain sufficient and complete information about the property you want to own. It is recommended to own a real estate that is located in the promising areas within the urban transformation areas in Istanbul.
- Ensuring the legality of the person responsible for selling the property, in terms of having the right to make the sale.
- Verify that there is no owner or other buyer of the property.
- A statement that the property is free of rights resulting from the mortgage, rent, or any other rights.
- Inspecting the location of the property, and verifying its suitability for residential use or work as stated in the signed contract.
- The importance of owning a duly approved copy of the title deed of the real estate (tapu deed).
- Compare the area and specifications and make sure that they agree with the information written in the ownership contract with the real estate appearance.
If you decide to live or buy a property in Turkey, do not hesitate to contact us at Extra Property. We will help you with everything from moving to Turkey to buying the property that perfectly suits your requirements.
Edited by: Extra Property ©